Sunday, October 3, 2010

A.D.D. and Job Interviews (this could be a problem!)

So I have had a few job interviews since we moved 3 months ago and I think a few of them I went and did my A.D.D. thing. At the time I didnt know I was doing it so I didnt realize I'd probably recked my job chances by doing them but...it happens to the best of us.

I'd first advice before a job interview:

1. Get sleep (it makes a HUGE difference)

2. DONT have sugar of any kind if you can HELP it (within a good 2 plus hrs before the interview if nothing else).

My first train reck came when I hadnt gotten sleep. Well I had 2 job interviews in a row. I thought I'd nailed my first one well. But now that I look back I realized I was talking too much at the interview, not listening and giving too much information. These are all *key* things that are from A.D.D. At the time I mistook that I was having a nice conversation with my interview guy. Yeah he might have ADD too so who knows what he truly took from it. But either way we talked too much and I think that was bad.

So right after my first interview I was still tired decided it MIGHT be safe to get some sugar. So I got a small chocolate milk at the 99cent store and went to the next interview. This time it was at the Mills and it was for Bath & Body. I had never had an interview with ANY B&B and it excited me. So we had a group thing but it was just 2 of us (1 didnt show). And it would have been fine till she asked me why I wanted to work at the store. I had sugar so I thought this sounded okay. But lmk what you think. I realized what I'd said hours later at home and still laugh over it:

"I want to work for your store because its so bright. I dont just mean the staff who is always so nice and friendly but the store itself. I've been in MANY different stores but none are as LITE UP as this store is!"

So I learned from that one not to talk about stores in general...or so I thought (see below haha).

I know I screwed up one for Claire's cause I well you know just took too long to answer a few questions...not a good idea I might add!! That was ADD too I know it was.

My last example was simply this. Dont tell the person anything about their store. I dont know why but I decided NOT once but TWICe to tell them at Childrens Place that she had the largest store I'd ever seen. Its one thing to do that but it prooved I didnt have anything else to say so I shouldnt be saying anything at all. Put it out of misery stop stalling and LEAVE!!

From all this I learned not only not to have sugar, not to be too tired but not to talk so much. Listen to questions, answer them, and try to not let my replies and their go off somewhere. Needless to say I'm sure the guy at Bookmans might have hired me. But either I really did talk too much, he forgot about me, or in the end realized he had ADD who needs another goofy person around like me?

You cant hide your ADD but at least for the love of pete and all thats normal just try to act normal. Just for that tiny spot of about 15 to 30 mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment